Mehfil from Southall nominated by Virendra Sharma MP has been awarded 1st Runner Up of the Grand Final of the Tiffin Cup 2016 held in the House of Commons on Tuesday 12th July 2016. The iconic celebrity chef Ainsley Harriet joined other famous faces on the judging panel. Mehfil were presented the 1st Runner Up prize by the Rt Hon John Bercow MP, Speaker of the House of Commons, with Saffron of Northampton South winning the competition and Hoole Indian of Chester being awarded 2nd Runner Up.
Virendra Sharma MP said:
I am delighted that Mehfil made it into the final of the Tiffin Cup 2016, and beat all but one other team to be named second best in the country. This is such a prestigious award and I was proud to be there on 12th July to cheer on Mehfil. I am sure everyone in Ealing, Southall will be proud of the success of our restaurant this year.”
The prestigious Tiffin Cup competition is held each year to find the best South Asian restaurant in the country.
The Tiffin Cup 1st Runner Up is chosen from a list of restaurants that have been nominated by local MPs.
The best in region awards this year were as follows:
- Best in London: Mehfil nominated by Virendra Sharma MP (Ealing Southall)
- Best in East Anglia: Bombay Nite nominated by Dr Therese Coffey MP (Suffolk Coastal)
- Best in South West: Koh-i-Noor nominated by Dr Philip Lee MP (Bracknell)
- Best in Wales: Spice Tree nominated by Chris Evans MP (Islwyn)
- Best in West Midlands: Kings Repose nominated by Gavin Williamson MP (South Staffordshire)
- Best in North East: Haveli nominated by Guy Opperman MP (Hexham)
- Best in East Midlands: Saffron nominated by David Mackintosh (Northampton South)
- Best in North West: Hoole Indian nominated by Christian Matheson MP (City of Chester)
- Best in Yorkshire and Humber: Cutlers Spice nominated by Louise Haigh MP (Sheffield Heeley)
- Best in North East: Goa Exemplary nominated by Julie Elliott MP (Sunderland Central)
- Best in South West: Raj Poot nominated by Ben Howlett MP (Bath)
Keith Vaz MP, the chair of the Tiffin Club said:
The competition was extremely close this year and just becoming one of the finalists of the Tiffin Cup 2016 is a tremendous achievement. Congratulations to Mehfil who produced a stunning dish of Punjabi Meat Masala to wow our judges to be awarded 1st Runner Up! This is a great tribute not just to the nominated restaurants but the fantastic culinary diversity in constituencies all around the UK. Well done to all of the restaurants!”